What is Academic Advising?
"Advising is a developmental process which assists students in the clarification of their life/career goals and in development of educational plans for the realization of these goals. It is a decision-making process which assists students in realizing their maximum educational potential through communication and information exchanges with an advisor; it is ongoing, multi-faceted, and the responsibility of both student and advisor.”
David S. Crockett, Senior Vice President of USA Group Noel-Levitz
Students Role in Advising
- Know who your advisor is. All Degree seeking students can find the name of their advisor by logging into MyYCC and clicking on Personal info. Your Advisor will be listed under the Academic info section.
- Contact your advisor to set up an advising appointment to allow them time to prepare for your meeting.
- Be an active and informed participant in the advising session.
- Share information with your advisors regarding interests, goals, educational and career plans.
- Be prepared for meetings with your advisor, particularly when registering for next semester’s classes.
- Become familiar with policies, deadlines, degree requirements and college resources found in the Student Handbook and On-Line Catalog. These are vital sources of important information.
- Keep all records! You should keep copies of all correspondences from the college, and meetings with your advisor.
- At all times know your scholastic standing and needs in order to fulfill college degree requirements.
- As needs arise be willing to contact appropriate student support services available on campus.
- Inform Enrollment Services of any address and telephone number changes. Change of address forms can be found online or in the Office of Student Affairs.
- Accept final responsibility for all decisions.