Celebrating 20 years!
From YCTC to YCCC
Historical Background and Evolution of YCCC – Click HERE to view a timeline graphic!
- In 1991, the 115th Maine Legislature established a commission to study the need for a technical college in York County. In subsequent studies, including the one conducted in 1994 by the Department of Labor of 4,300 employers, the need was confirmed for a better trained workforce. Studies also revealed that Wells was the most central location for the main campus.
- Established in 1994 by the 116th Maine Legislature, York County Community College (originally known as York County Technical College) was a grassroots initiative by Dr. John Fitzsimmons, the President of the Maine Technical College System) and a group of business leaders who identified a need for a technical college in York County, one of Maine’s fastest-growing counties.
- In August, 1995, College administrative offices were set up at the old train station in Kennebunk and then, on September 5, 1995, YCTC opened its doors in a leased facility in Wells, at Village by the Sea, with 156 students and a very small staff. The College offered three associate degrees and two certificates.
- In December, 1995, YCTC received candidacy accreditation status from the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and in 1999 the College was awarded full accreditation status.
- In February, 1996, the U.S. Department of Education granted approval for YCTC to offer Federal Financial Aid which was essential in making affordable education an option for those serviced by YCTC.
- In May, 1996, YCTC graduated its first class with seven students receiving certificates.
- In February, 1997, ground was broken on a permanent 51,000 sq. ft. building and on November 3, 1997, classes begin in this new building with over 500 students enrolled in 15 programs. It should be noted that as part of the cost for this building, the fledgling college assumed a 20-year mortgage (a mortgage which will be retired in 2017).
- In November, 1999, the College received 4.3 million dollars from a bond to expand college facilities. In October, 2000, ground is broken on a 26,000 sq. ft. addition to its original building (C-wing) and this additional space allowed for a redesign of the College’s first floor layout.
- In October, 2001, the College officially opens its new addition to the building and the expanded facility was now 77,000 sq. ft. and meant to accommodate 1100 students. The College student body was 1006 by 2007 and had grown to 1398 by fall 2009.
- In July, 2003, YCTC becomes York County Community College, as the state’s technical colleges expand into the seven-college Maine Community College system.
- In fall 2013, the Precision Machining Technology program is set up in a leased facility in Sanford and the first certificate students are graduated in May, 2014 and the associate degree students are graduated in May, 2015.
- In January 2015, the College leases space in the North Dam Mill in Biddeford to offer non-credit/workforce training out of that site.
- YCCC today has about 1700 credit students enrolled in Wells, Sanford, at area high schools, and online plus hundreds of non-credit/workforce students, its large South Coast Senior College, and its College for Kids. It has many other forms of outreach to the greater York County community through its Eggs and Issues, Entrepreneurial Dinner, its local Foundation events, and the Visiting Artists