A Program Designed to Improve College Readiness for Incoming YCCC Students
What is the Summer Academy?
YCCC’s Summer Academy is a five-week accelerated program (July 11 – August 11) designed to provide motivated students with the opportunity to set themselves up for success at YCCC before they begin classes in the fall. The curriculum consists of two courses: First Year Experience (FYE 103) and a developmental English or Math course (Eng 095 or Mat 092 or Mat 098) and a variety of support services provided by the federally funded TRIO Student Support Services Program.
Participants in the program receive:
- Group tutoring provided by TRIO Student Support Services staff
- Access to a variety of student services
- Opportunities to develop college success skills
- 3 credits in FYE 103 which can be applied to most degrees as an open elective
Summer Academy Schedule: July 11-August 11 (Monday-Thursday*)
9:00am – 10:55am ENG 095 or MAT 092 or MAT 098
11:00am – 11:55am Tutoring provided by TRIO Student Support Services staff
12:00pm – 1:00pm Lunch & Learn (lunch is provided)
1:00pm – 2:00pm College Success Skills workshops provided by
TRIO Student Support Services staff
2:00pm – 4:00pm FYE 103
* Students are expected to participate in both the morning and afternoon sessions.
Are scholarships available to cover the cost of the program?
Yes. Eligible students may receive a Strong Start Scholarship to cover the costs of the program.
How do I qualify for a scholarship?
Students who place into developmental courses based on their Accuplacer Math & English placement scores are eligible for the Strong Start Scholarship. This scholarship provides academic and financial support to new Maine students who place into at least one developmental course (ENG 095 or MAT 092 or MAT 098). The scholarship is available to either degree seeking or non-degree seeking students. The scholarship can be used to cover expenses up to $1,100 for tuition, fees and books for 6 credit hours (2 courses).
How does it work?
In order to receive the scholarship, students must enroll in the First Year Seminar 3-credit course (FYE 103) and developmental English (ENG 095) or Math (MAT 092 or MAT 098). Please note, if a student places into ENG 095, they must take that course before another developmental course.
If you are interested in the program, use the checklist below:
- Contact YCCC Admissions and schedule a time to take the Accuplacer.
- Review your placement scores with an advisor immediately after to determine eligibility.
- Register for Session 2 Summer semester courses.
- Complete an application for the TRIO Summer Bridge program.
- Recommend completion of the 2015-16 & 2016-17 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at: www.fafsa.gov, listing the YCCC school code (031229)
- Demonstrate Financial Need.
- Attend New Student Orientation.
- Start Summer Academy classes on July 11, 2016.
For more information or to register call 207.216.4409 or email firstname.lastname@example.org