Summer Academy 2018
What is the Summer Academy?
YCCC’s Summer Academy is a seven-week accelerated program (July 3–August 16) designed to provide motivated students with the opportunity to set themselves up for success at YCCC before they begin classes in the fall. The curriculum consists of two courses: First Year Experience (FYE 103) and a pre-college English or Math course (Eng 095 or Mat 092 or Mat098) and a variety of support services provided by the federally funded TRIO Student Support Services Program.
Participants in the program receive:
• Tutoring provided by TRIO Student Support Services staff
• Access to a variety of student services
• Opportunities to develop college success skills
• 3 credits in FYE 103 which can be applied to most degrees as an open elective
The Summer Academy’s seven–week program helps students improve their skills in English or Math and prepares them for college-level work in the fall.
Summer Academy Schedule – July 3–August 16 (Tuesday & Thursday*)
9:00 am–11:40 am/ENG 095 or MAT 092 or MAT 098
11:40 am–12:30 pm/Tutoring provided by TRIO Student Support Services staff
12:30 pm–1:00 pm/Lunch
1:00 pm–2:00 pm/College Success Skills workshops provided by TRIO Student Support Services staff
2:00 pm – 4:40 pm/FYE 103
* Students are expected to participate in both the morning and afternoon sessions.
Are scholarships available to cover the cost of the program? Scholarships are awarded based on financial need.
How do I qualify for a scholarship? Students who place into pre-college courses based on Accuplacer Math & English placement scores are eligible for the Strong Start Scholarship based on financial need. The scholarship provides financial support to eligible students who place into at least one pre-college course (ENG 095 or MAT 092 or MAT 098). The scholarship is available to either degree-seeking or non-degree seeking students. The scholarship can be used to cover expenses up to $1,100 for tuition, fees, and books for 6 credit hours (2 courses).
How does it work? In order to receive the scholarship, students must enroll in First Year Seminar (FYE 103) and pre-college English (ENG 095) or Math (MAT 092 or MAT 098). Please note, if a student places into ENG 095, they must take that course before another pre-college course.
If you are interested in the program, use the checklist below:
- Contact YCCC Admissions and schedule a time to take the Accuplacer.
- Review your placement scores with an advisor immediately after to determine eligibility.
- Register for Session 2 Summer semester courses.
- Complete an application for the TRIO Summer Bridge program.
- Complete the 2017-18 & 2018-19 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at: www.fafsa.gov, listing the YCCC school code (031229)
- Demonstrate Financial Need.
- Attend New Student Orientation.
- Start Summer Academy classes on July 3, 2018.
FMI call 207.216.4409