YCCC 2019 Faculty Commencement Speech
posted in Commencement on May 29th, 2019
“I’ve been asked to speak today on behalf of faculty and adjuncts: the people you’ve both loved…and maybe less enthusiastically tolerated…during your time as a student. Time spent working for this day. Graduation. We got to know each other over the years, but there are a few things that you might know, that we know:
- you texted during class- quadratic equations shouldn’t make you smile at your lap.
- your laptop wasn’t for taking notes- #I can see the screen reflecting off your glasses.
- you did other homework during lectures- reading about the Magna Carta doesn’t involve a calculator.
- the real reason you “forgot” to attach the document to that 11th-hour email
But we also know:
- that the text was to check in with your child who was home sick from school- and you HAD to come to class.
- that you need the laptop to somehow balance full-time school, full-time work, and full-time life
- that homework done in class means more time with your family: for many of you the reason you’re here today.
- We know those late night emails aren’t by choice, but by necessity
We know that you understood the importance of education. We know you made sacrifices accordingly. We know this accomplishment represents who you are as individuals and your dedication to your future, your families, and your community. We know it. They know it.
On behalf of all of us, congratulations and well done.”