Free College for Maine High School Graduates from the Classes of 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023
YCCC is pleased to announce The York County Promise Free College Scholarship. The new initiative was just passed by the State of Maine Legislature and signed by the Governor making Maine high school graduates from the classes of 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 eligible for a scholarship that covers the tuition and fees of an Associate’s degree or one-year certificate at York County Community College.
Last year, YCCC offered The York County Promise to the class of 2021 who graduated from York County high schools. This new opportunity expands on YCCC’s York County Promise to all students across Maine with graduation years 2020–2023. Now they all can receive a quality, relevant education that will prepare them to enter the workforce.
“The York County Promise Free College Scholarship is another way YCCC is working to supply a trained and educated workforce to Maine’s businesses. Much like the Maine Jobs & Recovery Plan, the Free College Scholarship invests in Maine residents to help them receive the training and education needed to support long term economic growth in Maine.”YCCC President Michael Fischer
The York County Promise Free College Scholarship is a last-dollar scholarship, which will cover tuition and fees of an Associate’s degree or one-year certificate at YCCC. As a last-dollar scholarship, eligible students must first accept all Federal and state grants awarded to them. Any remaining costs associated with tuition and fees will be covered by The York County Promise Free College Scholarship.
To qualify, students must:
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent from 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. This includes homeschooled students, and students earning a GED or Hi-SET during those years.
- Enroll full time, earning 30 credits per year.
- Pursue an associate degree or academic credential.
- Accept all federal and state grants and scholarships. This is a last-dollar scholarship.
- Participate in academic planning and advising to stay on track to completion.
- Live in Maine at the time of enrollment and while enrolled in the program.